Prep Time 30 Minutes
Cook Time 30 Minutes
- 1 ½ cups of warm water
- ½ cup of a sweet wine such as Passito
- 1 packet of dry yeast
- ¼ cup of Nudo Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 cups of unbleached flour
- 4 tablespoons of Nudo Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Focaccia topping
- ¼ cup of granulated sugar
- 2 handfuls of black or red grapes with seeds removed
- Pre heat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius or Gas Mark 7
- To make the focaccia dough, pour the water and the sweet wine into a bowl and stirring gently add the yeast. After 5 minutes add the Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- If using a food mixer, attach the dough hook. Put the flour in the mixer bowl and slowly add the yeast mixture at a slow speed. Slowly increase the speed and mix until you have a nice smooth dough that is moist and sticky and does not cling to the bowl or hook. Alternatively put the flour on a dry wooden board making a well in the middle and slowly add the yeast mixture kneading with your hands until it comes together into a nice firm but moist dough.
- Wipe a large bowl with oil and transfer the dough to the bowl. Cover with a moist tea towel and leave to rise for about 30 minutes in a warm place or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Oil a good size baking sheet and spread the dough out using your hands to cover the surface of the baking sheet. Remember this is a rustic bread so it does not need to be too neat.
- Using your fingers press down on the dough to make a random pattern of wells but taking care not to actually make a hole right through the dough.
- Cover and let the dough rest for another 30 minutes in a warm place until it has doubled its size once again.
- Before baking the focaccia, top the dough with 4 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, generously covering all of the dough and making sure it gets into the little wells. Sprinkle the sugar over the oily dough and arrange the grapes pressing some of them inside the dough. Scatter rosemary leaves generously over the top.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until it has turned a lovely golden brown.
- Serve with fresh Extra Virgin Olive Oil, or dip into Nudo Rosmarino oil.