Gateau au Citron, a French style lemon yogurt cake, is in homage to the lemons and all those who enjoy their tarty pleasures. This is a rather lovely recipe for a very simple and extremely delicious lemon cake.
Prep Time 1 Hour
Cook Time 1 Hour
- Unbleached all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 cups
- Baking powder, 2 teaspoons
- Pinch of salt
- Zest of one lemon
- Plain whole-milk yogurt, stirred, 1/2 cup
- Granulated sugar, 1 cup
- Large eggs, 3
- Nudo Lemoni oil, 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice - For the lemon Syrup
- 1 whole lemon
- Powdered sugar
- sifted, 1/4 cup
- Powdered sugar - For the lemon icing
- sifted, 1 cup
- Lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons
- Preheat oven to 350F/ 180C/ GM 4. Grease and flour a 9 inch/ 22cm square cake pan.
- In a large bowl combine the yogurt, sugar, eggs and mix well. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and lemon zest. Then add the flour mixture in with the yogurt mixture and blend.
- Mix in the Lemoni oil and stir until everything is mixed well. Pour into your prepared pan and bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean. Cool cake on a rack for 20 minutes and then turn out on a rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the sugar and lemon juice until it tastes like the kind of syrup you make lemonade with. While the cake is still warm, spoon over the lemon syrup.
- Let cool completely. While cooling, prepare the lemon icing. Whisk well and spoon the icing over the cooled cake. The icing will be completely firm in about 1 hour.
- Serve and devour.