This particular recipe was given to me by my friend Saverio this summer as we sat together in a restaurant in Castellammare Del Golfo in northwestern Sicily. As he excitedly wrote down the ingredients with a biro on a paper napkin (never easy) I gazed out over the Tyrrhenian sea thinking that, in the kitchen at least, Italy still rules the waves.
Prep Time 20 Minutes
Cook Time 20 Minutes
- Spaghetti – 300g/10.5 oz
- Garlic – 2 cloves,
- roughly chopped Tomatoes – 4 big ones, peeled and deseeded
- Salt – to taste
- Olive oil – 8 tbsp
- Basil – a big bunch
- Almonds – 150g skinned/5.5 oz
- Ricotta salata – 150g/5.5 oz
- Cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the packet.
- Put all the other ingredients, apart from the ricotta, into a blender and mix to a rough paste.
- Grate the ricotta and mix into the sauce.
- Add the sauce to the cooked spaghetti and stir together well. You can also use this deliciously nutty pesto-ish sauce on bruschetta or on grilled fish.