Lovers of chocolate and orange, this one is for you. A rich chocolate cake topped with Mandarin olive oil and chocolate icing. This cake is a great choice for groups as it is gluten and dairy free, made with almond flour and extra virgin olive oil instead of butter.
Prep Time 40 Minutes
Cook Time 40 Minutes
- 70g / 2oz cocoa - Cake
- 125ml / 4fl oz boiling water
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 150ml / 5fl oz Nudo extra virgin olive oil
- 200g / 7oz caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150g / 5½oz almond flour (or 125g / 4½oz plain flour)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup icing sugar - Icing
- 2-3 tbs cocoa powder
- 1/3-1/2 cup of hot water
- 1/3 -1/2 cup Mandarin olive oil
- Heat your oven to 170C / 325F / Gas 3. Grease a 23cm / 9in cake tin with oil. If you have one, a springform tin is best and line the base with parchment paper.
- Sift the cocoa powder into a bowl and whisk in the boiling water drop by drop until you have a smooth runny paste. Whisk in the vanilla then set aside.
- In a bowl or standing mixer, beat the sugar, olive oil and eggs until they are thickened, pale and creamy (this should take about 3 minutes).
- Continue beating on a slow speed as you slowly add the cocoa mixture. Once that is all mixed in, then slowly add the almond flour (or flour), baking soda and a pinch of salt.
- Pour into your prepared tin and bake for 40-45 minutes. The cake is ready when the sides are set and the top of the centre still looks a little damp – a skewer will come out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the tin then ease out. It is a moist cake so be careful and don’t be afraid of under-cooking.
- To make the Mandarin olive oil icing, sift the icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl and add the hot water and olive oil to the icing consistency you like.
- Leave to cool completely before icing, or if you prefer to eat it hot then serve up slices and drizzle the icing over.