Prep Time 65 Minutes
Cook Time 65 Minutes
- Plain flour – 500g/1lb/3 1/3 cups
- Lukewarm water – 300ml/10floz/1 ¼ cups
- Extra virgin olive oil – 2 tbsp
- Dried yeast – 1 packet
- Salt – pinch
- Pesto – 2 tsp (see our pesto recipe here)
- Sundried tomatoes in oil – 8, finely chopped
- Garlic – 2 cloves crushed
- Egg – 1 beaten, for brushing
- Put the first five ingredients in a bowl, mix, turn out onto the kitchen surface and knead for 10 minutes. Leave in a warm spot (an airing cupboard is ideal), covered with a tea towel for 1 hour. Divide into three equal parts and knead pesto into one, the finely chopped sundried tomatoes into the second and garlic into the last.
- Roll each part into a long sausage, then braid them together. Pinch the ends and brush the braid with a little beaten egg. Place the braid on a baking tray and allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/GM4. Bake the braid for around 35 minutes. It is done when, like a baby which needs feeding, it sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom Tear apart, give your sister a punch while your Mum’s not looking and dip in some more extra virgin oil.