After a Christmas lunch that could immobilise an elephant, this is the dessert that attempts to put a skip back in your stride. Literally translated as ‘pick me up’, the heady mix of caffeine, sugar and even a cheeky glug of amaretto will, in contravention of the Newtonian laws of gravity, do just that.
Prep Time 3 hours
Cook Time 3 hours
- Mascarpone – 200g/7oz
- Sugar – 150g/5.3oz
- Eggs – 2 (separate yolks from whites)
- Savoiardi biscuits – 25-30
- Cocoa powder – 2 tbsp
- Instant coffee – 2 tbsp, or 200ml brewed coffee
- Ameretto - (optional)
- Dissolve the coffee in 200ml of lukewarm water. Add the Ameretto to your taste.
- In a separate bowl mix mascarpone and sugar until smooth, then add one yolk at a time while working out with some forceful mixing.
- In another bowl whip the egg whites until stiff (make sure that the bowl and whisk are completely clean and dry). Carefully fold the whites into the cream.
- Crumble the biscuits into the coffee.
- In a fairly deep dish, 20cm in diameter, make a layer of the coffee saturated biscuits, than add a layer of the cream. Sprinkle a dusting of cocoa powder over the top and then pop it in the fridge for at least 3 hours before serving.