This is a super easy recipe you can whip up in 30 minutes, start to finish. The combination of black olive and orange is a classic, and here we’ve used mandarin instead, which, combined with the delicate flavour of the sole, seems to work very well. If you fancy something more delicate, you could use a mild pesto (eg rocket) rather than the tapenade.
This is really just fancy fish and chips – so is ideal if you’re a comfort food junkie but also want to impress somebody.
Prep Time 24 Minutes
Cook Time 24 Minutes
- Lemon sole – 80g/2.8oz fillet per person
- Potatoes – 1kg/2lb
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Rosemary – three sprigs
- Extra virgin olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Mandarin olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Olive tapenade – 4 teaspoons
- Preheat the oven to 200oC. Wash and slice the potatoes in ¼ inch pieces – use a mandolin if you have one. Crush the garlic and finely chop the rosemary leaves. Put these three ingredients into a bowl with 2 tsp of extra virgin olive oil. Work them together with your hands and then place the potatoes on a grease baking tray. Season and pop in the oven for 20 mins.
- Now season your fillets with salt and pepper. Heat the mandarin olive oil in a frying pan until it is sizzly hot and fry each fillet for 2 minutes skin-side down. Then turn them over for another minute.
- Divide your potatoes between four plates, with a fillet on top of each mound. Using a teaspoon, drizzle on a teaspoon of black olive tapenade: be sparing as you don’t want to overpower the fish). Eat immediately.