Prep Time 30 Minutes
Cook Time 30 Minutes
- Blanched hazelnuts – 90g/3oz
- Blanched almonds – 90g/3oz
- Candied peel (lemon, orange and lime) – 200g/7oz
- Plain flour – 60g/2oz
- Cocoa powder – 25g/1oz
- Ground cinnamon, clove and nutmeg – a big pinch of each
- Caster sugar – 150g/5.3oz
- Clear honey – 125g/5.3oz
- Preheat oven to 150°C/300ºF. Butter and line an 8-inch flan ring tray with parchment paper or bake-o-glide.
- In a large bowl, combine the nuts, candied peel, the sifted flour, cocoa and spices. Mix well together.
- Put the sugar and honey in a saucepan, turn on to a medium heat, stirring as the sugar melts. When it starts to boil (about 8-10mins) take it off the heat.
- Working quickly, pour the syrup over your nut mixture, and mix it thoroughly.
- The panforte will stiffen quickly, so immediately spoon the mixture into your baking tray and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes then tunr it onto a wire rack, peel off the paper and take it out and let it completely cool. Wrap and store at room temperature.