Sicilian Spaghetti Trapanese
In Italy people exchange recipes like northern Europeans exchange the flu. This particular recipe was given to me by my friend Saverio this summer as we sat together in a restaurant in Castellammare Del Golfo in north western Sicily. As he excitedly wrote down the ingredients with a biro on a paper napkin (never easy) I gazed out over the Tyrrhenian sea thinking that, in the kitchen at least, Italy still rules the waves.
- Spaghetti – 300g/10.5 oz
- Garlic – 2 cloves,
- roughly chopped Tomatoes – 4 big ones,peeled and deseeded
- Salt – to taste
- Olive oil – 8 tbsp
- Basil – big bunch
- Almonds – 150g skinned/5.5 oz
- Ricotta salata – 150g/5.5 oz
- Step 1
- Cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the packet.
- Step 2
- Put all the other ingredients, apart from the ricotta, into a blender and mix to a rough paste.
- Step 3
- Grate the ricotta and mix into the sauce.
- Step 4
- Add the sauce to the cooked spaghetti and stir together well. You can also use this deliciously nutty pesto-ish sauce on bruschetta or on grilled fish.