Mandarin Breakfast Cake
You may be hard pressed finding an egg for breakfast in Italy but in place you will find an array pastries, biscuits and cakes to enjoy with a short espresso. Dessert like options for breakfast? Yes please!
We think this is the perfect breakfast cake. The olive oil makes it lovely and moist and the citrus flavours make it zesty but not too sweet. It is also lovely as a dessert served with cream and fresh strawberries.
- 250g/8.8oz Flour
- 200g/7oz Caster Sugar
- 10g/0.4g Baking powder
- 100g/3.5g Ground almonds
- Pinch of Salt
- Zest of 2 oranges, 1 lemon and 1 lime
- 150ml/5 fl oz Milk
- 50ml/1.7 fl oz Freshly squeezed orange juice
- Mandarin olive oil 100ml/3.4 fl oz - Mandarin olive oil
- Almond essence
- 3 Eggs
- Olive Oil - For Greasing
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Step 1
- Preheat the oven to 180oC/360oF and prepare a bundt (ring) tin with greaseproof paper on the bottom and a small amount of olive oil up the sides and central spout.Sift the sugar, flour, baking powder, ground almonds and a pinch of salt together in a large bowl. Add the zest of all the citrus fruits.
- Step 2
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk, orange juice (squeezed straight from the oranges), eggs, Mandarin olive oil along with a few drops of almond essence. Mix well using a hand or electric beater until you have a smooth batter.
- Step 3
- Pour the batter evenly into the tin and bake for about 45 minutes. You can tell it’s cooked when you start to smell delicious orangey aromas in the kitchen and when a skewer comes out clean. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool then dust with icing sugar.