Hot Potato And Octopus Salad
White wine, 1 cup/ 240ml
Fresh cleaned octopus, about 800g/ 28oz – ideally the baby red- brown polipetti which have two lines of suckers on each tentacle
Celery, 1 stick diced
Garlic, 1 clove crushed
Taggiasche olives, 15
Nudo extra virgin olive oil, 5 tbsp
Flat leaf parsley, 1 handful roughly chopped
Lemons, juice of one lemon & a couple of lemon wedges
Sea Salt and freshly ground pepper
Boiled new potatoes, 400g/ 14oz skinned and chopped into cubes (if very new you can leave the skins on)
- Step 1
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil and add the cup of wine, peppercorns, one lemon wedge, a few sprigs of flat leaf parsley and a generous pinch of sea salt. Put the octopus into the boiling water, cover and allow to come back to the boil. Simmer until tender - this may take an hour or two depending on the size of the octopus. You'll need to top up the water as it cooks too.
- Step 2
- Make a dressing by mixing the extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice together, adding the rest of the parsley roughly chopped and the crushed garlic. Season well with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Step 3
- Drain the octopus (discarding the peppercorns, lemon and parsley) and leaving the tentacles whole (if small), slice the bodies in slanted rings or pieces of about 2 cm/ 1 inch.
- Step 4
- Mix the octopus with the celery and olives, pour over the dressing and leave to infuse for at least an hour.
- Step 5
- Steam the potato cubes until they can be easily pierced with a knife and mix them with the octopus just before serving. Adjust salt, pepper and lemon to taste serve at room temperature with the lemon wedges.