Homemade Pizza Dough
Make your own pizza dough at home and enjoy fresh pizza when you like. You can use this pizza dough recipe to make a larger batch and freeze the dough (or pre-made bases) to make your life even easier.
- Dried yeast – 7g/0.25oz
- Tepid water – 200ml/7 fl oz
- White bread flour – 350g/12oz
- Salt – 5g/0.2oz
- Extra virgin olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Step 1
- Sprinkle the yeast into the tepid water. Stir it around then let it sit for about 15 minutes to activate; when it turns a bit fluffy. Ensure your water isn't too hot to it will kill the yeast - you will be able to tell if this has happened as your yeast won't turn fluffy!
- Step 2
- To make the pizza dough, sift the flour with the salt onto a clean surface then make a well in the centre. Add yeast water along with the extra virgin olive oil into the well and draw in the flour with your hands mixing it all together.
- Step 3
- When it has all come together evenly, knead it for 5 to 10 minutes until it is an elastic dough which is strong. If you have an electric mixer with a dough hook, you can simply put all the ingredients in the mixing bowl and knead for 5 or so minutes on medium.
- Step 4
- Allow the pizza dough to rise for 1½ - 2 hours, you can tell when it is ready as it will have doubled in size and spring back when you touch it.
- Step 5
- Knock the pizza dough in the middle (that's why it is called knocking back the dough!) and divide it into 3 evenly sized balls for each of your bases. Or you if you have the tray/oven to size, you can make larger pizzas!
- Step 6
- Roll out your pizza dough balls to about ½ cm thick and place on a lightly floured baking tray or pizza stone, and it is now time to make your pizza.
- Step 7
- Spread your tomato pizza sauce on the base with the back of a spoon then add your toppings.
- Step 8
- Bake in an oven preheated to 240oC/475oF/GM9 for about 10-15 minutes. The cooking time depends on the thickness of your pizza base and also how you like it. Watch it closely and take out when the cheese is melted and the base is starting to turn brown, and note the best timing for you.
- Step 9
- Drizzle with your favourite flavoured oils to taste, our favourites and the classic are basil oil or chilli oil.