Grilled Asparagus Preserved In Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Asparagus season is a highlight (for those who love it of course!). So why not make it last through the year by preserving it in extra virgin olive oil. Extra virgin olive oil can be used to preserve as it keeps out oxygen and microbes from the ingredients.
- Asparagus – 500g / 1.1 lbs
- White wine vinegar – 300ml/10 fl oz
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Shallot – 1
- Peppercorns – 1 tsp
- Rosemary – 2 sprigs
- Lemon juice – 100ml / 3.4 fl oz
- Extra virgin olive oil – 500ml/ 17 fl oz
- Step 1
- Cut or snap the woody bits off the asparagus and discard then cut the remaining spears in half length ways.
- Step 2
- Put the vinegar in a saucepan with 200ml/7 fl oz of water, boil it and then take off the heat. Grill the asparagus on a griddle pan, and then transfer to the vinegar water. Leave for a few minutes and then drain.
- Step 3
- Find a jar a bit taller than the length of your asparagus. Sterilise the in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Step 4
- Finely chop the garlic and shallot and put them in the bottom of the jars with the peppercorns. Then carefully pack the spears into the jars, along with a sprig of rosemary. Fill the jar up to about a 5th of the height with lemon juice, then fill to the top with extra virgin olive oil.
- Step 5
- Close the jars and then store in a cool dark place for 6 weeks. Consume within 4 months, and once open keep the asparagus covered in oil and in the fridge.