Chocolate Lemon & Olive Oil Cake
A simple but decadent dark chocolate cake recipe with a delightful citrusy edge.
- Dark chocolate 250g - Cake
- Nudo extra virgin olive oil 150ml
- Caster sugar 270g/9.5oz
- Lemons 2, juiced and zested, plus extra zest to garnish
- Free-range eggs 4
- Cake flour 300g/10.5oz
- Baking powder 2 tsp
- Greek-style plain yoghurt 2/3 cup
- 3/4 cup icing sugar - icing
- 2-3 tbs cocoa powder
- 1/3-1/2 cup of hot water
- 1/3 -1/2 cup Lemoni olive oil
- Step 1
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F. Grease and line 2 x 9 inch/22 cm cake tins. Melt the dark chocolate in a glass bowl over boiling water and cool until lukewarm.
- Step 2
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and creamy, then add the lemon zest. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, adding a tablespoon of flour after each egg to prevent the mixture from curdling. Transfer the mixture into a large mixing bowl. Sieve the remaining flour baking powder and fold into the batter.
- Step 3
- Mix the yoghurt and lemon juice and fold into the mixture. Lastly, fold in the lukewarm chocolate until well combined. Divide the mixture between the tins and bake for 1 hour. Cool in the tins for 10 minutes before turning out onto rack to cool completely.
- Step 4
- Beat the icing ingredients together until smooth and then spread the chocolate icing to cover the top of each cake. Carefully place one layer on top of the other, keeping the cake with the most crema for the top layer. If you feel extra indulgent, round off the icing by spreading a layer of crema around the sides of the cake also. Garnish with a sprinkling of chopped pistachios nuts and lemon zest. Also lovely served with a dollop of whipped cream